Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Visual Rhetoric on Campus

I have always been a little skeptical about coming to Clemson for school. I couldn't see myself going here for different reasons. Before I really met anyone here, I tried to find a place that made me feel comfortable and serene. So, I took a walk around campus to check it out, and I fell in love with the reflection pool in front of the library. It was lit up by the library, the fountains were on, and the trees dressed it perfectly. I was taken aback by how peaceful it was. I called my mom and told her that I found my new favorite place on campus.
I've never actually liked going into a library until I got here. It's so big and, well, bright. I couldn't understand how people spent hours upon hours in there until I found out for myself. I was in the library until 4 o'clock in the morning writing a paper, and I couldn't feel it at all. The library is like Clemson's little New York: it never sleeps. With its white walls, bright lights, and high ceilings you can never "catch any Zs". The endless rows of books and countless computers instills a sense of business and work. However, if you need a break, Java City and the lounge areas encourages "me" time. Now, I love having an excuse to go the library and not feel like a nerd.

1 comment:

Shala Benson said...

Clemson University was not my first choice either, but like you, I feel for it after I walked through campus. I believe you addressed your audience well in this blog entry. I liked the way you end it even though, I believe it is okay to be a need- sometimes. I did not find any gramatical mistakes, but you may want to talk other things on campus that made you know that Clemson was the place for you.